Join the Youth Commission
Who can join the Cheshire Youth Commission?
Anyone aged 14-25 years who is currently resident of the Cheshire policing area - including Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire East, Halton and Warrington.
What does a member of the Youth Commission do?
Between July 2019 and March 2020, members of the Youth Commission will:
- Take part in Youth Commission sessions: You will participate in Youth Commission sessions which will usually be on Saturdays.
- Have the opportunity to join the Youth Independent Advisory Group: provide advice from a youth perspective on policing policies and strategies.
- Work on special topics: You will pick a topic (from a shortlist) that interests you to work on with a small group of other members. The shortlist will be determined by the Youth Commission and may include topics such as relations with the police, reducing youth offending, drug abuse, bullying etc.
- Gather the views of other young people: You will be given support to carry out peer consultation with other young people in schools, colleges, universities and youth groups. This can be done to suit your schedule and can fit around your existing commitments. We anticipate that each member will do in the region of 30 hours of consultation in total by the end of the project.
- Plan events: You will work in a team to design and plan interactive events to engage other young people and partner agencies in your area. You will be invited to help to run these events wherever possible and as long as there is no clash with your school/ college commitments.
- Report back to the Police and Crime Commissioner: You will contribute towards the analysis of information gathered from young people in your area, and help to present back your conclusions to the Police and Crime Commissioner.
- Help to host the Youth Commission Conference in March 2019: You will have the opportunity to present your results and recommendations and be a part of discussions with Cheshire Constabulary, partner agencies and other young people.
How can I apply?
Applications for the 2019-20 Youth Commission have now closed. Please check back to this page in 2020 to see how you can get involved in the 2020-21 Cheshire Youth Commission.