Tackling Rural Crime
The strategy has been developed in response to the local and national rural crime surveys and following extensive feedback from Cheshire residents as part of a consultation led by the county’s police and crime commissioner, David Keane.
In the strategy, the commissioner sets out five commitments to Cheshire residents to tackle rural and wildlife crime. They are:
- To provide a dedicated PCSO for Cheshire’s 26 rural communities and ensure every PCSO is trained in tackling rural issues.
- To ensure every major rural event is attended by specialist rural officers, that PCSOs visit every agricultural premises in the county on an annual basis and that each rural community is supported by two nights of rural action per year.
- To ensure each of Cheshire’s 26 rural communities has a dedicated Rural Watch scheme in place to prevent rural and wildlife crime
- To deliver both prevention and enforcement of rural road safety issues.
- To work with neighbouring forces and partners to target those who commit rural crime in Cheshire.
The strategy also outlines what tactics police in rural areas will use to tackle crime. This includes working with partners on preventive methods, using intelligence to identify problems and disrupt criminality and using enforcement to target offenders who cause the most harm.
Policing of Illegal Hunting in Cheshire
PCC David Keane commissioned an independent review into the policing of hunting across Cheshire in 2018.
He commissioned the review following concerns raised by Cheshire residents and public representatives in relation to the effectiveness of Cheshire Constabulary’s policing of hunting.
The review spoke to representatives from both the pro and anti-hunt community, as well as local businesses.
The final report of the Independent Review of the Policing of Hunting in Cheshire and a subsequent action plan Cheshire Constabulary produced in response to the review’s findings can be viewed below.
- Independent Review of the Policing of Hunting in Cheshire.pdf
- Cheshire Constabulary Action Plan - Hunting.pdf