This system gives victims a voice and provides quick and effective solutions to low level crime and anti-social behaviour.

To be suitable for Community Remedy:

The police must have evidence that the offender has engaged in anti-social behaviour or committed an offence
The offender must admit to the behaviour or offence and agree to participate in a Community Remedy
The officer must think the evidence is enough for court proceedings or to impose a caution, but considers a community resolution would be more appropriate.

If you have been a victim of crime you may wish to discuss the offence committed against you with the police officer who is dealing with your case to see if it would be appropriate for Community Remedy.

If your case is suitable you will be able to choose a Community Remedy from the list of options below:

Reparation to the victim - For example, repairing damage
Reparation to the community - For example, by doing unpaid work in the local area such as cleaning up graffiti or litter picking
Paying compensation - For example, to the victim or for theft and shoplifting
Restorative justice - For example, a restorative justice conference, a face to face apology or a letter of apology.
Structured activity - For example, drug and alcohol treatment services, to be offered as part of a conditional caution through existing service provision
Enter an agreement - For example, an Acceptable Behaviour Contract where the perpetrator agrees not to behave anti-socially in the future or face more formal consequences
Mediation - For example, to help resolve a dispute between neighbours

In some circumstances, a combination could be agreed upon. For instance, a face to face apology coupled with repairing damage to property.

The officer will assist you in considering the above options and has the final decision as to what is appropriate ensuring it is proportionate to the offence committed and will have a positive impact on the offender in the future. In cases where the action is linked to a conditional caution, if the offender fails to comply they can face court action for the original offence.